Alajärvi Church was designed by architect Carl-Ludvig Engel. The building work was led Heikki Kuorikoski and the church was consecrated on 21 March 1841. The church, which seats about 1,000 people, is situated on a beautiful spot by a lake close to centre of Alajärvi. Previously, the location was home to an older church dating from 1749, which was designed by church builder Antti Hakola.
The church, which is called Gabriel’s Church, is surrounded by Alajärvi Cemetery. The renowned architect and designer Alvar Aalto designed the war heroes’ cemetery and the Aalto family tomb located in Alajärvi. In his childhood and youth, Alvar Aalto spent numerous summers in Alajärvi. One of his favourite spots was the balcony of Alajärvi Church, where he sat during services.